Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Radar Trailer Found on Craigslist

Last year I got the idea of Building a trailer to mount my battery bank and solar panels on to.  I watched craigslist for small trailers and I mostly found small cheap harbor freight units that could only hold about 600lbs.  My battery bank weights in at around 600lbs so those units would not work well. Id be well over the limit once I started welding on the trailer to hold the battery and solar mounts.  Then I would stil have to harden the trailer to keep someone grom walking off with the solar panels, batteries or the whole trailer.

Then I got the idea to just build a trailer from scratch to play with my welder and plasma cutter.  Once I considered the the steel cost to build a trailer from scratch I put the project on hold.

I thought my project was never going to get off the ground until one day I saw this beauty on craigslist for $400


Picture this cleaned up and painted desert tan with flat black rims.  It would make an awesome small camp trailer. Eventually I think it is going to also need a HAM radio (with cross band repete enabled) installed.

Here are the trailer specs:

I can tell this unit is well built, and it has great ground clearance for off road.



This is a gutted out radar trailer, Did you know these things had alarms in them?  I will tell you that story later:') and it looks like this one has been shot at.

I think this is a great find for my project.  It is portable, lockable, and once deployed it would be very difficult for someone to drive off with.

Read more about the Security Features on this trailer here








No comments:

Post a Comment