Sunday, August 5, 2012

Single battery installation


Friday evening I decided to install a battery in the radar trailer and test the solar panel and charge controller.  It took me some time to figure out which cables in the wiring harness I needed to use.  I didn't want to open up the wiring harness to look inside the plastic hose organizer.  so I tested with some test leads to find the right negative and positive cable to use for a single battery.

Once I figured it out I decided it was easier just to rip out the old harness.

I decided to remove it because my goal was to eventually hard wire in an inverter for the trailer.  For right now this harness could run a small inverter, but eventually I will have 3 batteries connected with larger cables.  I will be able measure the old inter connect cables to order new larger cables.

In case it may help someone in the future, this is the the way the bank was wired
Main run of the positive and negative cables exit top left and run to the back of the trailer to two bus bars. from there the red (positive) wire goes to a cut off switch.  The positive wire is then routed to a 2nd. positive bus bar.  This is so the master power for all accessories ( except the solar charge controller and the alarm) can be turned on and off.


I mounted the single battery in the far left because the negative cable on the harness started on that side.

No comments:

Post a Comment