Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Solar panel upgrade ideas

Right now the trailer has one 50 watt solar panel mounted on the front of the trailer.  Realistically that is enough for the battery bank I am going to install for infrequent use.  50 watts will be enough to slowly charge the 260ah battery bank I am planning on installing.  Later if I plan on running loads like a dc refrigerator or larger inverter for power tools.   I would like to add on to the system with extra panels either mounted on the roof, or stored inside but deployable to expand the system when needed.

With the 50 panel in the folded down position the rack is 48" x 48".  With the panel sitting flat taking up rack space I have 48" x 42" available.


With the panel tilted out of the way the rack is 48" x 48"

With the panel flat it goes doen to 42" of free space without the panel hanging over the back of the rack. to play it safe lets assume 41 3/4" 
If I just wanted to mount the panels flat on the rack I found a 100W panel that is 47 X 1.5 X 22 inches.  I could mount one, or mount two of them if i was willing to let the panel hang over a bit.




Another option might be to see if I can find someone to build me a custom panel to fit the space or maybe better build one good panel from the three bad ones I have laying around if they can be saved.


If the project progresses I think it would be nice to replace the 50 watt pannel with the newer black on black panels.  I think they would really give it that tactical look and contrast nicely with the desert tan and black look.


For the time being I already have solar panels that are paid for and just needing a job to do, so that is what I will use for now.



One advantage to not adding more solar panels in a way that would restrict allowing the rack to be raised vertically is that I could mount CFL flood lights in between the vertical rails in a way that would allow the lights to be pointed to the back or front of the trailer.  This would be useful for area lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment