Saturday, September 1, 2012

Labor Day Weekend - Project Goals

This Weekend I am planning to take the radar trailer on a trip to my fathers house to do some welding on it.  I've made a quick list of projects to work on.  I don't think we can get to them all, but we will see how far we can get.

Folding table
I'd like to fabricate a folding shelf / table that folds and mount it to the back of the trailer.  The concept is that the table will be dual purpose.  During the fold up for travel position it will be locked to cover the back window.  This will make it more secure.  When I arrive at a destination I would simply unlock and fold the table down.  I can then use it to set a propane stove on for cooking or use it as a work bench.  As a bonus the light I selected for the inside can be mounted in such a way that light passes through the back window and lights up the table at night. Finished see it here

Mount internal LED ceiling light 
I've got  a RV two bulb light.  I replaced the factory 921 bulbs with LED bulbs.  I can't mount it until I get the table built, so I know where to position it.  In progress see it here

Removable tongue wheel - Done see it here

Solar-powered circulation fan
To be mounted in the existing hole that the radar camera used to be mounted in.  This will be wired into the new solar panel junction box.  The fan will steel a small amount of power from the solar panels to power a small 12v computer fan.  This will help circulate air,  and cool the trailer, and hopefully keep the contents from smelling musty.  I will need to fabricate a mounting bracket to hold the standard sized fan.  In progress se it here

Tongue-mounted storage basket
Weld a triangle-shaped basket to be mounted on the front of the trailer.  This will allow me to utilize the wasted space to hopefully hold two gas cans and a 5-gallon propane tank.  Finished see it here

Ham, wireless, or mount for small wind turbine.
I want make to mounts on the tilt up rack so I can mount a ham radio antenna, Wireless antenna or small wind turbine.  If I get more into ham radio this would make a perfect mobile radio emergency response / support trailer.  I will need to a mount on each side of the solar panel so I can mount the antenna on the shady side of the panel so it does not cast a shadow on the panel and reduce it's power output.  Finished it click here to see it.

Cut out old mounting hardware
Inside the trailer there is old steel mounting hardware that is taking up space.  I need to crawl into the trailer and cut it out.  Maybe even into 3 sections for a possible fridge on the left side someday that will fit an exterior footprint: 27.75"L x 14.96"W x 20"H. I figure if we are taking the time to pull it apart and cut it.

Modify fold up air vent door
Cut the door and modify it to have two sections that can open or close independently.  This will allow me to store or even run my honda EU2000 generator in the trailer.  Later I may weld up an exhaust duct to allow the generator to run in the trailer.  This would allow generator power and use extra power to recharge the 115ah battery bank using the honda charging cable or a more efficient external 25amp battery charger.

Fabricate mounts for two additional solar panels
I've got two old Solerex 65watt solar panels.  I'd like to find a way to mount them to the roof in a way that they are protected from theft and damage by the fold up rack.  Ideally they will be tiltable, and be mounted high enough the top of the trailer to allow airflow to help cool the panels.  it would be nice if they are high enough to allow antenna sections and a small folding table or chair to be slide under them for storage and transport.

Rear Jack Stands
The trailer came with the mounting for rear stabilizer jacks. The jacks store up for transport.  The mounts were in place but I need to make the rest of the system.  Finished I just have to paint them now

Reverse / Backup Lights
This would be a nice add especially for backing up the trailer at night. But I think I have to change out the flat plug to a round plug to support the backup light function.  As a bonus if I do this I think I can also connect a charge as you tow option as well.  Then the batteries can also be charged from a the tow vehicle if needed.

Solar Junction Box
Wire in a fused junction box.  this will allow each solar pannel to have it's own fuse.  You can then test individual solar panels by plugging in or removing fuses one at a time.  This will also house the fuse for the fan, and have a spot to plug in external panels if needed

Equipment mounting board
Need to mount a piece of plywood to be used for mounting the Pure sign-wave inverter,  Battery charger.


Meeter mount
Need to find a good way to mount the meter, so it can stay in the trailer or be extended to the outside so it can be used to help aim the solar panels with only one person.

External spare tire mount


Body work and Paint



No comments:

Post a Comment